Gardena Buddhist Church Japanese Language School
(The California Association of Japanese Language School Member)
All the fall classes will be on-line via Zoom.
Daily and Saturday classes will be combined. Classes will be held on Saturdays ONLY.
|1st period||8:00 – 8:50 (10min. break)|
|2nd period||9:00 – 9:50 (10min. break)|
|3rd period||10:00 – 10:45|
|1st period||11:00 -11:50 (10min. break)|
|2nd period||12:00 – 12:50 (10min. break)|
|3rd period||1:00 – 1:45|
|1st & Upper Grade||$140|
- Tuition needs to be paid monthly at the begining of each month. Parents are required to pay tuition in full regardless of the number of absences.
- Sibling discount is available. Ask details in the JLS office.
- Make checks payable to Gardena Buddhist Church.
- Write “JLS” at the bottom left of the check.
- $20 fee will be charged for a returned check.
COURSES, PROGRAM, GRADES & OTHERS
For the first trimester (Sep to Dec) of the School Year 2021-22, regular classes will not be offered.
Japanese Courses: Daily Division & Saturday Division
- This program forcuses on Japanese immersion. Classes are taught in Japanese. Students learn Japanese as well as heritage of foreign language. Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji, reading, writing and conversation are taught. Through events such as Speech contest and Students’ Achievement Presentations, our students learn Japanese on a higher level. For high school students, class contents include preparation for AP test for college entrance and Japanese proficiency test.
- 5 – 18 years old (K to 12th grades)
|Elementary Division||Nyumon Class through 6th grade|
|Intermediate Division||7, 8th grades|
|High School Division||9, 10th grades|
|High School Advanced Study Course||11, 12th grades|
- Preschool Division:
- Nakayoshi Preschool & Day Care Center
(for 2 years through pre-kindergarten)
(Refer to the detailed information)
- Trimester System
1st Semester: September ~ December
2nd Semester: January ~ March
3rd Semester: April ~ June
- Textbooks created by California Association of Japanese Language Schools Inc. and other books & materials.
Refer details to the School Calendar
|Divisions||First Day of School||Last Day of School|
|Saturday Division||Sat., Sept. 4, 2021||Sat. June 18, 2022|
AGREEMENT ON REGISTRATION FEE
- Enrollment fee – $170/student.
- Enrollment fee is non refundable for any reasons and/or under any circumstances.
- Once student is withdrawn from the school, $155 enrollment fee is required for reentry the school.
TUITION for LONG PERIOD of ABSENCE
If your child needs to be absent for more than one month for any reason, parents are required to pay 1/2 of monthly tuition for those absent months. Parents are required to notify the office and class teacher.
PTC (Parents Teachers Council)
Refer details to the PTC information page
- PTC is a support group of the school. They hold two big bake sales (Curry or Chicken Teriyaki & Cookies) for their fund raiser. The proceeds are donated to the school to help cover the costs of graduation trip and purchasing teaching materials. PTC organize various cultural events such as Mochitsuki and actively supports the school.
- PTC member fee – $15/family
- Write a check payable to Parents Teachers Council and put it in the tuition envelope.
Accident Insurance is paid by the church. The benefit will be paid for those eligible expenses not covered by other insurance or health plans.
ABSENCE, WITHDRAWAL & TERMINATION AGREEMENT
- Please report child’s absence to the school office. For the Saturday Division, call the office after 8:30 am.
- Parents are required to notify the office and the the class teacher if parents decide to withdraw their child(ren) 2 weeks in advance. Parents are obligated to pay all the unpaid tuitions at that time.
- The school will terminate enrollment if tuition is not paid for more than 2 months.
- When the child breaks the school rules, he/she is disturbing the classes and/or abusing classmates, we will discipline the child and notify the parents. However, if the child does not reconsider and improve his/her attitude and/or behavior after warning and/or discipline, the child will be expelled.
- After classes are over, students and parents are not allowed to stay on the premises.
BEGINNING & ENDING of EACH DAY & DISMISSAL
Please, be prompt in bringing/picking up your child and from the school. Do no bring your child to the school earlier than 10 minutes before the school starts.